In the last few posts in this series, I talked a lot about doing the work towards self-acceptance. Doing the work to accept your body, accept where you’re at, and find liberation from the notion that your self-worth is not tied to the fat on your body.
Doing the work means that you are taking steps that eventually become part of your life to better yourself mentally and emotionally around negative body image.
Showing up for yourself is similar, except you’re adding in the idea of being present and listening to your body like never before.
I wanted to take time in this post to talk about what it means to do the work and show up for yourself every single day.
- Journal. I feel like in every blog post and podcast I’m telling you to write stuff— but it’s true. Writing down emotions, feelings, thoughts, insecurities, etc is a great way to visualize what you need, which leads to being successful in showing up for yourself and doing the work. Journaling doesn’t have to be beautiful or creative. It just has to be your feels written down in words or drawings or webdings— whatever floats your boat. Get it out into the world and out of your own head. Trust me, it works wonders.
- Make a list. I didn’t say this was going to be easy– did I? If I did, I was lying to you. Like journaling, making a list helps to figure out what you need to show up for yourself. For me, that list looks like starting my day off with a quick run down in my head of what I need to be successful for the day. Most days, it’s the same stuff. Coffee, puppy snuggles, putting makeup on. But other times, it can include things like having a good cry, getting some movement in, taking a walk in the fresh air, writing a blog post. Making a list looks different for everyone, but if you are able to dig deep and say to yourself “here’s what I need today” then you’re already doing the work.
- Listen to your body. Any body positive blogger will tell you that your body is smart. I will tell you the same thing. Your body is so fucking smart that it will tell you what it needs and how it needs it. You just have to tune in and listen. This is a HUGE part about doing the work towards self acceptance and stepping away from self loathing and hatred. Tuning in means listening to your body when it says “please give me nourishment” or “please stop eating, I’m full now.” I won’t get into the nitty gritty of intuitive eating (what I just described is intuitive eating) but it’s basically listening to your hunger cues, deepening your understanding of what your hunger cues are, and acting on those hunger cues. A great resource if you want to learn more about intuitive eating is Simi Botic’s Instagram @simibotic.
- Set goals. These goals aren’t and shouldn’t be weight loss goals. They are goals that reflect how you want to change your life mentally and emotionally to do the work and show up for yourself. It can look like setting a goal that says “I’m going to speak kinder words to myself this week.” Goals become habits and habits become lifestyle changes. That’s what you’re aiming for here.
- Find your tribe. In the world of plus sized women, this can be tough. Not because plus sized women don’t exist, but because very few of us are out there telling our stories and attracting other women to join our tribe. You don’t have to have a platform or a huge following to do this, it’s as simple as following or knowing plus sized women that you trust and communicating with them. My favorite thing in the world is when other women find my blog and reach out to me to say they dig what I have to say. That’s all you have to do. We become a tribe by being connected through a shared interest. That shared interest is being on a journey to love yourself to the fullest, no matter how long it takes you to get there.
I hope this was helpful for some of you who may be looking for some concrete steps towards being more accepting of your bodies. It’s a tough road, but totally worth it.
I also wanted to share that Sincerely, Em is going to start a tribe called “Sincerely Beautiful.” Through this tribe, you’ll receive exclusive “how-to’s” on body positivity, setting goals, and achieving your dreams. Also, you’ll be surrounded by badass women who also believe that your self worth shouldn’t be tied to the fat on your body.
If you’re looking for that sign to change your life today, this is it. Join me in this journey!
If you’re interested, head to this link to join!